In macOS Massive Sur, Time Machine added help for backups onto APFS-formatted volumes (the filesystem that Apple launched a number of releases in the past). However Apple omitted an enormous footnote that needs to be in its documentation: An APFS-formatted quantity cannot be used for networked Time Machine backups.
Time Machine can work by backing as much as a drive connected on to a Mac. However you probably have a desktop machine to which you’ll simply connected a set, high-capacity drive, you may make that drive a Time Machine vacation spot for different Macs on the community. In the event you format that disk solely with APFS partitions, you’ll attempt to comply with the steps to make use of it from a network-connected Mac, and obtain the next sophisticated warning:
You would not have the mandatory learn, write and append privileges on the chosen community backup disk.
Apple does not doc this error on its help website, which is a pity. Whereas it may well imply many issues, within the context of Time Machine, it sometimes means that you’re attempting to again as much as a Time Machine quantity on an APFS-formatted partition. As an alternative, you seemingly can solely backup over the community to an old-school Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled), identified extra familiarly as HFS+.
As a result of Disk Utility can modify partition sizes non-destructively after they’re created, you need not erase your Time Machine drive, however can add an HFS+ partition. Here is learn how to modify your drive:
- Open Disk Utility.
- Choose the drive in sidebar. (In the event you do not see the drives, solely volumes, select _View > Present All Gadgets.)
- Click on the Partition button.
- Disk Utility prompts to ask if you wish to add a quantity to an APFS container (most well-liked for managing APFS-formatted partitions) or divided the storage. Click on Add Partition.
- Click on the +.
- Title the partition, choose Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled), and select a dimension. I like to recommend estimating the depth of backups you want for the native machine and the remainder of the machines on the community. I believe doubling the volumes you are backing up is an effective estimate: a drive with 1TB of information might have a 2TB and even bigger backup quantity to retain a major long-term set of older variations of information along with the present freshest backup state.
- Click on Apply.
- Look forward to completion, and the then click on Completed and the brand new partition’s quantity has mounted.
Add a partition to set a separate filesystem kind.
Now you will have two volumes. In my case, I referred to as them McGraw Native Backup for the APFS partition’s quantity that I used to be utilizing for native backups from the Mac to which the drive is connected, and McGraw TM for networked-based backups to the HFS+ partition’s quantity. (You possibly can identify you volumes no matter is sensible to you.)
With two partitions, you possibly can set every to a separate filesystem kind to work inside Time Machine’s limitations
Now you can put together the HFS+ quantity to be used with Time Machine:
- Open the Sharing choice pane.
- Choose the File Sharing service within the left-hand pane.
- If the HFS+ quantity is not within the Shared Volumes record, click on the + signal beneath that record and select that quantity.
- Management click on the quantity’s identify within the record, choose Superior Choices, and test the Share as a Time Machine backup vacation spot field. You may as well test Enable Visitor Customers and test and set a restrict for Time Machine backups. Click on OK.
- Within the Customers record, choose Learn & Write from the Everybody pop-up menu.
Use the Sharing pane to set a quantity as a vacation spot for Time Machine.
Now you can proceed to different machines on the community, and the HFS+ quantity will seem as an choice whenever you open the Time Machine choice pane and click on Choose Disk. As soon as chosen, you might be prompted to substantiate the connection, and to enter a person identify and password.
The networked Time Machine quantity seems as a vacation spot.
It’s best to be capable of join as Visitor and use it that means since you arrange entry for Everybody to learn and write information to the quantity. Nevertheless, in testing, I discovered I wanted to make use of my person identify and password to create the community connection, although the Time Machine quantity wasn’t mounted within the Finder of different member of the family’s Macs.
Time Machine backups will now proceed as anticipated.
Now, simply so as to add to the confusion: after working by means of the above difficulties with a brand new drive supposed for Time Machine, and getting all of the items to work appropriately collectively, I made a decision to encrypt every of the 2 Time Machine volumes.
In Mojave or later, encrypting an exterior quantity converts it from HFS+ to APFS (Encrypted). This appeared to work for a bit with the Macs that beforehand generated an error related to APFS. Nevertheless, it rapidly turned erratic. So, whereas I did not obtain the error famous at first of this text once more, I used to be unable to make dependable backups.
I needed to revert. In Disk Utility, I chosen the partition and altered it again to Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled), erased the present backups, and was again in enterprise. The Sharing choice pane appeared to maintain the setting for the partition to behave as a Time Machine quantity.
As an alternative of utilizing quantity encryption, I opted for Time Machine backup encryption. When you choose a quantity within the Time Machine choice, you possibly can test the Encrypted Backups choice, after which enter a password. Once more, attempt to generate and retailer it in a means that you would be able to at all times have it accessible.
Since I am storing nothing else on that quantity, even when it had been obtained by another person, they’d additionally want the person backup passwords for every gadget utilizing the quantity as a Time Machine vacation spot to entry the info on them.
Ask Mac 911
We have compiled an inventory of the questions we get requested most often together with solutions and hyperlinks to columns: learn our tremendous FAQ to see in case your query is roofed. If not, we’re at all times on the lookout for new issues to unravel! Electronic mail yours to email@example.com together with display screen captures as applicable, and whether or not you need your full identify used. Not each query shall be answered, we do not reply to e mail, and we can’t present direct troubleshooting recommendation.